3 News 27 June 2013Asenati Lole-Taylor says street prostitution is rife in Manukau, Christchurch and other areas (file) The Government is shifting responsibility for the problems caused by street prostitution on to local councils which don’t have powers to deal with it, Parliament has been told. NZ First MP Asenati Lole-Taylor says street prostitution is rife in Manukau, Christchurch and other areas. In Parliament yesterday she questioned Prime Minister John Key about what the Government intended doing to curb it. Mr Key said the Local Government Act empowered councils to make by-laws.http://www.3news.co.nz/Street-prostitution-rife-parliament-told/tabid/1607/articleID/302900/Default.aspx
Greensburg, In. — The residents of Aspen Place Health Campus will host “Trick or Treat” night Thursday, October 25 from 6 to 7:30 p.m.
By Edward AnschutzSEYMOUR, Wis. (Aug. 13) – Jeremy Christians kept his title hopes alive with another feature win in the IMCA Stock Car division Sunday at Outagamie Speedway.Eric Arneson paced the opening circuits, working the high side as Barry Van Straten and Trent Nolan gave chase. Midway through the contest, Christians made his presence known by racing into the top four, working the low groove.Christians methodically worked past Van Straten and Nolan. Arneson was his next victim, as Christians took the lead away with eight laps remaining and pulled away to capture the win.Second went to Arneson and Nolan was third.Paul Parker led all 20 laps of the IMCA Modified main event en route to his second feature win in a row at Seymour.Hunter Parsons took the lead on lap three of the Karl Chevrolet Northern SportMod feature and never looked back.Matt Brehmer scored his first feature win of the season in the Mach-1 Sport Compacts.
RelatedPosts Ighalo: My best moment as ‘Red Devil’ Mane double eases Liverpool to win over 10-man Chelsea EPL: Chelsea, Liverpool in cagey duel Isaac Hayden scored a stoppage-time winner as Newcastle United dented Chelsea’s Premier League top-four hopes with a 1-0 win at St James’ Park. The Blues dominated possession for long periods but failed to capitalise and were undone in the 94th-minute when Hayden climbed above Antonio Rudiger to meet Allan Saint-Maximin’s cross to head past Kepa Arrizabalaga. With Sheffield United, Arsenal and Tottenham all dropping points earlier in the day and both Manchester United and Leicester not in action until tomorrow, the Blues had a chance to cement their place in the Champions League places. However, Frank Lampard’s side failed to create many clearcut openings and the sting in the tail leaves Chelsea only five points above fifth-placed United having played a game more. Lampard made just one change to the team that beat Burnley last weekend with N’Golo Kante replacing Ross Barkley in midfield, something of a gamble given he had been continuing to manage a hamstring problem. Newcastle were content to sit deep with a five-man defence when not in possession with the Blues left to probe for a way through. Jetro Williams was stretchered off injured inside the opening 15 minutes at the end of a long delay which only contributed further to the truncated feel, the Blues only sporadically able to cause problems despite monopolising the ball. Newcastle’s ambition was limited but they almost took the lead after 21 minutes when Joelinton met a cross from the right eight yards out with a firm header which cannoned back off the crossbar. Tammy Abraham fired over a few minutes later as Chelsea continued to try and engineer a clear opening. That eventually came from Reece James, who curled an excellent pass in behind the Newcastle defence for Kante but his low drive was turned behind smartly by Martin Dubravka. Federico Fernandez headed over as another cross from the Newcastle right, this time from Jonjo Shelvey, exposed weaknesses and although Chelsea began to up the tempo before the interval, they only had a Mason Mount free-kick deflected wide to show for it. Chelsea briefly improved more tangibly at the start of the second period. Willian dragged a shot wide to waste a promising counter-attack before Cesar Azpilicueta drilled a 20-yard effort straight at Dubravka. Space was beginning to open up but they struggled to capitalise, allowing Newcastle to regroup, prompting Lampard to replace Mount with Barkley for the final 23 minutes. Moments after coming on, Barkley’s pass was intercepted by fellow substitute Sean Longstaff but into the path of Abraham, who failed to steady himself in steering a low shot off target with Dubravka sprawled at his feet. Abraham almost found the breakthrough with 11 minutes remaining as Azpilicueta turned Jorginho’s pass into his path but his effort was scrambled clear. It would be Abraham’s final contribution as Lampard sent on Michy Batshuayi but another substitute, Emerson Palmieri, almost won it when his low drive was deflected just wide after Willian’s cross had been cleared into his path. Instead, it was Hayden and Newcastle who had the last laugh.Tags: Antonio RudigerChelseaIsaac HaydenKepa ArrizabalagaNewcastlePremier LeagueSt james’ Park
Press Association On Saturday the Canaries suffered a 2-0 defeat at Watford, which was a sixth in the last eight league games for Alex Neil’s side to leave them in 16th place, but out of the relegation zone only on goal difference. Bowkett joined the Norwich board in 2009, and in a statement the Norfolk club – in which celebrity chef Delia Smith is the joint majority shareholder, alongside her husband, Michael Wynn Jones – confirmed they were hopeful of naming a new chairman shortly. Norwich chairman Alan Bowkett has stepped down and left the board of directors, the Barclays Premier League club confirmed on Monday. “The directors and all at Norwich City Football Club would like to place on record their thanks to Alan for his contribution,” Monday’s statement read. “The club has been working recently to refresh the board of directors and an announcement about new directors and a new chairman will be made in the next few weeks. “The ownership of the club will be unaffected by these changes. “The new directors will bring additional expertise and fresh ideas about growing the business, as Norwich City continues its commitment to maintaining Premier League status and developing the football club on and off the pitch.” Despite his team’s predicament, Neil remains confident the squad, promoted via the Championship play-off final at Wembley last May, has what it takes to stay in the top flight – with fixtures at home against Everton then away to both Manchester United and Tottenham next. “We need to have a look at ourselves and get back to our standards,” said the 34-year-old former Hamilton player-manager. ”Anybody who is used to winning games and being successful – in the limited time that I have managed – it is a sore one to take. ”There is huge disappointment there, but it is how you respond and how you react that makes us the team that we want to become.”
President Trump defended an unlikely target over the weekend: his political rival, Joe Biden.The commander-in-chief mentioned the former vice president-turned-presidential candidate in a response to North Korean leader Kim Jong Un’s claim that Biden is a “rabid dog” who “must be beaten to death with a stick.”Trump tweeted:Mr. Chairman, Joe Biden may be Sleepy and Very Slow, but he is not a “rabid dog.” He is actually somewhat better than that, but I am the only one who can get you where you have to be. You should act quickly, get the deal done. See you soon! https://t.co/kO2k14lTf7— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 17, 2019 The tweet comes amid an impeachment investigation into President Trump’s effort to have Ukraine announce an investigation into Biden and his son, Hunter.Last week, North Korean state media reported, “Rabid dogs like Biden can hurt lots of people if they are allowed to run out of control.” The statement added that such dogs “must be beaten to death with a stick, before it is too late.”The regime’s comments on Biden were apparently made in response to a Biden campaign ad that had referred to Kim as a “tyrant.”
ST JOHN’S, Antigua (CMC) – Chief selector Courtney Browne believes Vishal Singh can provide added stability in the West Indies middle-order, during the upcoming Test series against Pakistan.The 28-year-old left-hander was one of two uncapped players named in 13-man squad to face Pakistan in the opening Test, bowling off at Sabina Park in Jamaica on Friday.Vishal endured an underwhelming first class season but carved out an unbeaten 135 in the three-day tour match against the Pakistanis at the Trelawny Multi-Purpose Stadium last weekend, to force his way into contention.“Vishal has been one of the more consistent batsmen in the Regional four-day ournament over the last few seasons and had a very good A-Team series against Sri Lanka last year,” Browne pointed out.“His hundred over the weekend for the WICB President’s XI against the Pakistanis helped to fortify in our minds that he has a place in our squad. He gives us the option of a solid middle-order batsman around whom our more free-scoring players can bat.”Vishal managed over 700 runs last season and followed up with a superb 161 for West Indies A against Sri Lanka A in Pallekele last October. However, his returns this season have been poor, with just 317 runs at an average of 26.Ever since selectors axed the long-serving Shiv Chanderpaul two years ago, they have been without a steady hand in the middle order and with Marlon Samuels dropped and Dwayne Bravo’s continued exile from the squad, Vishal is being viewed as a solution to the middle order.His Guyana Jaguars teammate Shimron Hetmyer has also found space in the squad following a season that yielded 496 runs, and Browne said the Youth World Cup captain was one for the future.“Shimron has shown a lot of maturity during this season of regional games and also within our A team,” Browne explained.“It is really satisfying to see someone that only a year ago was leading our Under-19 squad to the ICC Youth World Cup title progress so quickly to be considered for a place in the squad.“We want to wish the young man well and hope that he, like all the others, can grasp the opportunity when it presents itself.”
THE Guyana Police Force (GPF) Football Club and Milerock secured easy wins on the opening night of the Guyana Football Federation (GFF) ‘Super 16’ Cup, which kicked off on Sunday evening at the Police Sports Club ground, Eve Leary.It was a 6 – 2 win for the Calvin Allen-coached Police side over Timehri Panthers, while Milerock secured a 2 – 0 victory over Pele FC.In the second match of the night, Jamal Harvey’s 10th and 21st minute strikes, along with a goal in the 24th minute from Colwyn Adams, Police raced to a 3 – 0 lead at half time, and, in the second half, Daniel Wilson (52nd), Darren Benjamin (64th) and Trayon Bobb (74th) found the back of the net to complete their side’s tally.For the losing Panthers unit, Jarel Walcott and Lloyd Matthews were the players on target.For his outstanding performance, Bobb was voted Most Valuable Player of the game and received a hamper from the National Milling Company (Namilco).Meanwhile, Jose Depaz and Rawle ‘Boney Man’ Gittens both scored in the second half to guide Milerock to the 2 – 0 win over Pele.Gittens was named MVP of the game and also received a hamper from Namilco. The Super-16 Cup will continue on Friday and then into the weekend.
The Undergraduate Student Government unanimously approved a senate resolution Tuesday to increase awareness among administrators and students for a new community service council.USG hopes the Inter-Service Council will organize more campus-wide outreach events and strengthen dialogue between service groups.The council was created earlier this semester as part of a student project for The Art and Adventure of Leadership, a course taught by President Emeritus Steven B. Sample and leadership expert Warren Bennis. Creating such an outreach council, attempted unsuccessfully in the past, was part of USG President Monish Tyagi and USG Vice President Logan Lachman’s campaign platform.Service · Marissa Roy, a residential senator, and Edward Chau, a commuter senator, discussed a resolution that will create a new community service council. – Chris Roman | Daily Trojan“[The council] could be a collective forum for any service ideas, be a funding resource and be a collaborative resource,” said USG Treasurer Elton Kwok, one of the council’s seven founders.At least 15 service organizations, such as the Helenes and USC Dance Marathon, have already applied to be recognized members of the council. Applications are due in the Volunteer Center by Friday at 5 p.m.Peony Khoo, who oversees two service organizations, Alpha Phi Omega and the Asian American Tutorial Project, said the council will provide necessary communication between student outreach groups.“We hope that this council can facilitate collaboration between the organizations and enhance the overall impact that we can make,” Khoo said.Residential Senator Marissa Roy, who co-authored the resolution, said the council has an opportunity to increase student involvement in community service. The resolution will particularly benefit students who have been turned away from organizations, such as Troy Camp and Helenes, who have acceptance rate of approximately 25 percent, according to Roy.“We know there are a lot of students who don’t get involved in those organizations because they are so competitive and only so many spots [are available],” Roy said.The council aims to increase involvement by marketing volunteer events to a greater number of people and providing students with a community service calendar, Kwok said.Though the council currently falls under the jurisdiction of the Volunteer Center, there has been talk among USG officials about eventually incorporating the organization into USG.“What happens in the future? A lot of that will be determined by the [council’s] new Executive Board,” said Speaker Pro Tempore and Residential Senator Vinnie Prasad, a co-author of the resolution.Roy said the Inter-Service Council functions like other Program Board assemblies in that it brings together student organizations with similar goals. The most recent addition to Program Board was the Political Student Assembly in 2006. Prior to that, the assembly was part of the Jesse M. Unruh Institute of Politics, PSA Director Will Roper said.The council’s founders will select its own executive board by the end of the semester, Prasad said. It will comprise representatives from the council’s recognized member organizations.“The hope and goal is for student government to take part and take this organization into their hands,” Kwok said.Kwok said putting the council under USG’s jurisdiction could provide faster access to funding. Roy said, however, the council will not likely be incorporated during the current administration because USG funding is fixed for the year.“I don’t think any action will be taken this year,” Roy said. “It would be really hard to add a [Program Board] assembly at this point.”The resolution also calls for a USG representative to attend Inter-Service Council meetings and work with the executive board to offer the new organization advice and assistance.“We definitely want the two organizations to be close,” Roy said. “We want to support them as they start because USG really believes in this cause.”Prasad and Roy emphasized the importance of raising awareness of the council, particularly among the administration.“We were also trying to tie in the goals and the vision of this council to the goals and the vision of [President C. L. Max Nikias’] presidency and administration,” Prasad said. “He’s made serving and working with the surrounding community a primary goal and that’s exactly what this is about.”USG Secretary Stephanie Lam will email the resolution to five administrative offices affected by the council: Office of the President, Office of the Provost, Office of Student Affairs, Office of Campus Affairs and Office of the Volunteer Center.The resolution directs Prasad and Roy to work with these offices in an effort to find an administrator willing to serve as an adviser for the council.
Ghana’s 2014 World Cup campaign is being threatened by an injury crisis after AC Milan confirmed Michael Essien could be out for more than two weeks with a thigh problem. This comes just days before his team-mate Sulley Muntari was ruled out of action with a calf problem.The 31-year-old Essien joins a growing list of Black Stars players who are nursing various degrees of injuries with just close to eight weeks to the start of the global showpiece.Essien replaced compatriot Sulley Muntari at half time during AC Milan’s 3-0 win over Chievo over the weekend.However, the Italian giants confirmed on Thursday that the former Chelsea midfielder suffered an injury at training and will undergo further test in 10-days time.“A.C. Milan announces that Michael Essien has sustained an injury to the semimembranosus of his right thigh,” a statement on the club’s website reads. “The player will undergo further examination in around ten days’ time.”The news will be a major source of worry for Ghana coach Kwesi Appiah who is unhappy about the spate of injuries being picked up some of his key players ahead of the World Cup.Sulley Muntari an in-form Abdul Majeed Waris are all in the treatment room nursing various injuries with the long-term availability of defender Isaac Vorsah unknown.Workaholic midfielder Rabiu Mohammed is struggling to return to action after an operation in a latest injury scare which could wreck the side’s campaign in Brazil.Ghana are drawn in a difficult group which includes USA, Germany and Portugal.