Cardiff caters

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

Driver of change

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

WH Smith out- of-town assault

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

The market in minutes

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

National Police-run soccer match-fixing squad to include Military Police

first_imgIndonesia is gearing up to host the 2021 U-20 soccer World Cup following FIFA’s announcement last year. President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo is putting high hopes on the event, saying that the U-20 cup would be “a perfect stage to promote Indonesia.”Gatot said the match-fixing task force will also coordinate with other stakeholders including local administrations.“We’ve been working together with the PSSI [Soccer Association of Indonesia] chairman, the youth and sports minister and the management of [soccer] clubs,” he said.Jakarta Police spokesperson Sr. Comr. Yusri Yunus said on Feb. 5 that the task force would also ensure transparency during the national team’s recruitment process for the U-20 World Cup.“Everything will be transparent. There should not be any undesirable events occurring [during the recruitment process],” he said.The task force was officially established after National Police chief Gen. Idham Aziz issued a letter ordering the start of an investigation on Feb. 1. It is to operate for the next three months.A similar task force that was formed in 2019 uncovered a match-fixing scheme in Indonesia’s third tier Liga 3 match between Persikasi Bekasi and Perses Sumedang at the end of last year. Six suspects were arrested following the operation. (mpr)Topics : The National Police’s match-fixing task force is to coordinate with the Indonesian Military Police (POM TNI) to tackle match-fixing practices and monitor recruitment for the Under-20 FIFA World Cup team.Deputy National Police chief Comr. Gen. Gatot Eddy Pramono said the partnership was needed to ensure transparency during the recruitment process for the national soccer team and to prevent match-fixing practices that mired the country’s soccer league.“We hope our collaboration with POM TNI can strengthen efforts at creating a clean, dignified and highly achieving [Indonesian] soccer scene,” Gatot said on Tuesday, as quoted by kompas.com.last_img read more

Russian strikes kills 15 civilians in northwest Syria: Monitor

first_imgA rescuer carried in the body of a baby girl, her mouth filled with grey debris and her pink pyjamas caked in dust.At the site of the strikes, two large one-storey out-buildings lay mostly in rubble near green orchards.The strikes destroyed the poultry farm where the displaced families had been living. Dozens of surviving white chickens picked through the dust, as rescuers operated bulldozers to comb through the debris.The Observatory said the toll was likely to increase as many wounded were in a critical state. Russian air strikes Thursday killed at least 15 civilians including a child in the last major opposition bastion of Idlib in northwestern Syria, a Britain-based war monitor said.The strikes after midnight targeted an area where displaced Syrians had gathered outside the town of Maaret Misrin in Idlib province, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.An AFP correspondent saw the bodies of some of the victims wrapped in thick winter blankets at a local hospital. Moscow-backed regime forces have since December waged a deadly battle against the jihadist-dominated Idlib region, causing almost a million people — mostly women and children — to flee their homes and shelters.Even before that offensive, Idlib was home to three million people, around half of them already displaced from other parts of the war-torn country.The Observatory says it determines what plane carried out a strike according to flight patterns, as well as ammunition and aircraft involved.The strikes comes as the leaders of Russia and Turkey meet in Moscow to discuss the situation in Idlib, where Ankara backs some rebel groups and has become directly involved in fighting in recent weeks.Syria’s war has killed more than 380,000 people and displaced millions since it started in 2011 with the brutal repression on anti-government protests.Topics :last_img read more

Italians in China caught between two epidemics

first_imgTopics : Trip cancelled Marco, a Beijing resident working in the theatre industry, has not left China since the start of the outbreak and cancelled a planned trip home to Italy in March, his first in over two years.He said he did not want to “create panic” arriving from China in his Tuscan hometown of only 16,000 people with his wife, who is Chinese.”People are not always so good at rationalizing things,” he told AFP, adding that he did not want his family to endure any negative reaction from other residents of his hometown.Before Italy confirmed its first cases of the virus, Chinese communities in the country said they faced racist behavior.Chinese tourists were spat at in Venice, a family in Turin was accused of carrying the disease, and mothers in Milan used social media to call for Italian children to be kept away from Chinese classmates.”I am worried more for my family actually,” Marco said, “and about the poor sense of community that my country is having lately.” “They are freaking out, because it’s something they’re not used to,” Platto said of people in her home city of Brescia in the northern region of Lombardy, where most of Italy’s infections have been detected. “What I’m saying to everybody is don’t panic, because panic is worse than a virus.” Surveillance Platto’s Chinese neighbors in Wuhan were touched by her decision to stay in the city, where the virus was first detected in December and has been cut off from the world with no air transport since January 23.They brought her a “big bag of spaghetti” and a note that said “Sara, be strong” after learning that she was from Italy.But as the number of infections in China falls while overseas outbreaks continue to grow, Chinese authorities have stepped up surveillance of foreigners for fear of imported cases.Beijing on Wednesday ordered all international arrivals to the city to go into 14-day quarantine, while airline passengers from Italy, Iran, South Korea and Japan are being handled separately from other travellers.In one central Beijing district, neighborhood volunteers and police repeatedly demanded information from Italians specifically, including making unannounced house calls, even for people who had not left China recently.Francesco Abbonizio, a youth football coach in the capital, spent the first two weeks of his time on a recent trip to Italy avoiding social contact — and now has to quarantine himself again after returning to China on Wednesday.”Someone in my family was very scared of the virus and refused to meet me even after the two weeks,” he said.”Right now all of them are locked down in their house.”center_img She has spent more than 50 days cooped up at home, taking turns with her son to use one computer for online classes and work.Italians enduring China’s health crisis and draconian measures that have left them effectively housebound for weeks now find themselves watching similar scenes unfold at home.Italy — where the virus has killed more than 1,000 people in just over two weeks, making it the hardest-hit country outside China where over 3,100 have died — has imposed a lockdown unprecedented in Western Europe.All stores except for pharmacies and food shops have been closed and residents are to stay at home except to travel to work, shop for provisions, or seek medical help. Sara Platto’s mother in Italy called her “crazy” for staying in Wuhan even as the virus-hit city was quarantined in January. Now she’s offering advice to people back home on how to cope.Platto, who lives with her 12-year-old son at the epicenter of the coronavirus pandemic, rejected four offers of evacuation from the Italian government after refusing to abandon her two cats and deciding it was safe enough to stay in China.”It’s not Ebola,” Platto, who works at Jiangnan University, told AFP.last_img read more

Court hearings move online as fight against graft must go on

first_imgorking from home takes on a whole new meaning in the fight against graft in Indonesia, with courts moving to the virtual world to hear corruption cases. The trials will also be live-streamed to make them accessible for the general public.The Law and Human Rights Ministry said all court hearings could be held with suspects staying at their detention centers and not having to show up at the court, according to the Corruption Eradication Commission. The Supreme Court had earlier ordered to suspend all trials in view of the coronovirus outbreak, except for cases where a defendant’s detention period is about to end and cannot be extended.The ruling follows a government instruction to suspend all public gatherings and practice physical distancing to prevent the virus from spreading.Read also: Selected trials continue despite COVID-19, Supreme Court saysBut in a letter to the Supreme Court, the Law and Human Rights Ministry said trials could be conducted with the use of video-conference technology and hearings could be made accessible to the public by live-streaming them, KPK spokesman Ali Fikri said Thursday.The KPK and the Central Jakarta District Court, in which most trial on corruption cases handled by the antigraft body are held, had agreed to proceed with virtual hearings while observing the protocols, he said, adding that they had successfully tested the procedure.The KPK has the power to detain suspects for up to 120 days. (mfp)Topics :last_img read more

App-based motorcycle taxis can take passengers if regional government allows

first_imgRead also: Can we take motorcycle taxis? Clashing regulations leave passengers confusedTransportation Ministry spokesperson Adita Irawaty said to address the confusion, the ministry had relaxed the regulation to allow individual regional governments to make adjustments.“It has been agreed that the implementation will be decided by regional governments after conducting a study on several points, including the economic aspects of the [regional] society, the availability of transportation systems in the areas and the availability of social security aid,” Adita said in a statement released Monday.“We will monitor the situation in the field and may evaluate and make changes to the regulation.”Ride-hailing service providers such as Gojek and Grab said they appreciated the transportation ministerial regulation, signed by acting Transportation Minister Luhut Pandjaitan, and are waiting for the regulation to come into effect to make adjustments.Topics : A new transportation ministerial regulation has allowed app-based motorcycle taxis to take passengers provided certain health precautions are taken, but the final decision depends on the individual regional governments that have implemented large-scale social restrictions (PSBB), the ministry has said.Transportation Ministerial Regulation No. 18/2020 on transportation controls to slow the spread of COVID-19 allows app-based motorcycle taxis to take passengers as long as they comply with health protocols. The protocols include wearing masks and gloves, disinfecting vehicles before and after use and not driving when not feeling well.The new regulation has confused passengers as it clashes with a Health Ministerial Regulation and a Jakarta Gubernatorial Regulation that prohibit motorcycle taxis from carrying passengers and restrict them to carrying only goods during PSBB, civil groups and politicians have said.last_img read more

US vaccine expert says he was removed for opposing Trump-backed chloroquine

first_imgTopics : He said the move was a direct response to his resistance to “misguided directives” to support the use of malaria treatments chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine for coronavirus.Those treatments, he said, were “promoted by the administration as a panacea,” but “clearly lack scientific merit.”.”While I am prepared to look at all options and to think ‘outside the box’ for effective treatments, I rightly resisted efforts to provide an unproven drug on demand to the American public.”Since mid-March Trump, backed by the conservative Fox News channel, has advocated for the use of chloroquine to treat COVID-19 infections, with scant evidence from studies of its safety or effectiveness. Despite his own science advisors suggesting more study is needed, Trump repeatedly pushed for the drugs’ use, claiming the treatment could be a “gift from God” to counter the coronavirus pandemic.On Tuesday the results of the largest study yet of hydroxychloroquine, funded by the US government, showed no benefit against the disease over standard care.And in fact it showed use of hydroxychloroquine was associated with more deaths.Bright said he would be asking the inspector general of the Department of Health and Human Services to investigate the Trump administration’s politicization of BARDA and its pressuring scientists to favor companies with political connections.”Sidelining me in the middle of this pandemic and placing politics and cronyism ahead of science puts lives at risk and stunts national efforts to safely and effectively address this urgent public health crisis,” he said.center_img The head of the US agency in charge of developing a vaccine against coronavirus said Wednesday that he was removed from his job for opposing the chloroquine treatment promoted by President Donald Trump.Dr. Rick Bright said he was removed on Tuesday as director of the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA), the government agency for developing and procuring treatments and vaccines, and moved to a lesser position in the National Institutes of Health.”I believe this transfer was in response to my insistence that the government invest the billions of dollars allocated by Congress to address the COVID-19 pandemic into safe and scientifically vetted solutions, and not in drugs, vaccines and other technologies that lack scientific merit,” he said in a statement to US media.last_img read more