At least six hurt in shooting at California high school, suspect in custody

first_imgChiccoDodiFC/iStock(LOS ANGELES) — At least six people were taken to hospitals after a shooting at a high school in Southern California Thursday morning, according to the Los Angeles County Fire Department.A suspect has been taken into custody as students evacuate the campus and reunite with their parents.The number of injuries are fluctuating amid the chaos at Saugus High School in Santa Clarita, about 35 miles north of downtown Los Angeles.While fire officials reported six people hospitalized, Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva said at least three people, all students, were hurt, including at least one gunshot victim.Henry Mayo Hospital has received three patients in critical condition, hospital officials said.Villanueva said the suspect is in custody and being treated at a local hospital. The sheriff told ABC Los Angeles station KABC-TV earlier that the suspect was believed to be part of the student body.The shooting began at 7:05 a.m. local time, during what’s called “Zero Period,” roughly an hour before the school day officially begins at 8 a.m. and is often used for extracurricular classes and was before the bulk of the students were there for the start of the school day, police told ABC News.Sophomore Brooklyn Moreno said she was in the quad when she heard what she thought was a balloon popping.“I just started running,” she told KABC. “There was girls falling in front of me and I tried to help them up, then just kept running cause I didn’t want to get hurt, either.”“I never thought this would happen at my school,” Moreno said. “I’m still kinda in shock right now. I’ve been shaking and crying a lot — I’m an emotional wreck.”One student told KABC he was headed to school when a few friends texted him to not go because they heard shots.“At first I didn’t believe it,” said the sophomore. “You would never think this would happen… I saw cops and I stopped and I called my mom and she told me to come straight home.”Students were led single file through the campus by armed officers. Multiple ambulances were spotted at the scene as worried parents jammed the streets.As the search for the suspect was unfolding, officials urged those who live in the area to lock their doors and other schools were placed on lockdown.Misty Wolf, a Saugus High School graduate whose 16-year-old daughter goes to a nearby school, said they were just arriving when her daughter’s school was placed on lockdown.“We were all getting there and parents heard shots — or what we thought were shots,” Wolf told ABC News. “The nice guy who waves us in the lot every morning started shouting at the kids walking to get out of the way get up the hill. …We were all trying to get out. People were confused.”“Having my kid, who is already dealing with things in life, being scared because I told her to duck down because they don’t know where the shooter is — is hard,” Wolf said. “There was another [school lockdown] a few years ago and she never wanted to leave her classroom after it. I’m worried that this will make her not want to be at school because she doesn’t feel safe.”Moments before news of the shooting broke, Sen. Chris Murphy, D-Conn., was on the Senate floor calling on his colleagues to bring up a universal background checks bill that was passed by the House earlier this year.He asked for unanimous consent to pass the legislation dubbed the “Bipartisan Background Checks Act of 2019” that would establish new background check requirements for firearm transfers between private parties. The House approved of the measure in February in a 240-90 vote.His fellow Democratic Connecticut senator, Richard Blumenthal, was in the middle of his remarks on gun violence when he was handed a note informing him of the reported shooting.Copyright © 2019, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Premier League: Jordan Ayew split on VAR verdict

first_imgThe introduction of the Video Assistant Referee in the Premier League at the start of the 2019/2020 season has received mixed reaction from fans and pundits alike.The technology was brought in to ensure more accuracy in terms of refereeing decisions.Crystal Palace forward, Jordan Ayew, has given his assessment of VAR, in an interview with Crystal Palace TV.Ayew, who has benefited once this season from VAR – in his goal against West Ham at the London Stadium, says the technology has faired averagely in its first season.“I think I’m still split 50-50 on it. Some of the decisions are hard to understand, while others are clear for all to see.“But I think it’s a positive thing. As time goes on, things will improve,” he told Crystal Palace TV.VAR found Jordan Ayew onside in his winner against West Ham in the 2019/2020 Premier League seasonAyew currently leads the scoring charts for Crystal Palace this season, with 9 goals in the Premier League.last_img read more

Carlo admits Torres error

first_imgCarlo Ancelotti admitted he could have made a mistake by playing Fernando Torres after Chelsea were knocked out of the Champions League by Manchester United.He also insisted the decision about whether he keeps his job at Stamford Bridge after his team failed once more to deliver the Holy Grail of Europe’s top club trophy to owner Roman Abramovich was out of his hands.Ancelotti gambled by starting Torres and leaving Didier Drogba on the bench, even though Torres had not scored in 817 minutes and 13 matches for club and country.Torres suffered a torrid first 45 minutes and was replaced at half-time by Drogba, who scored in the second half.When asked if it had been a mistake to start with Torres, Ancelotti said: “Maybe. Could be. I told you a lot of times this season I wanted to start with Fernando for this kind of game, these type of tactics.“Didier played well in the second half. I wanted to put more pressure up front because we needed to score. Didier was fresh and he could use his power up front. This was the reason I took out Fernando.” United boss Sir Alex Ferguson, however, was in no doubt that it was the huge fee Chelsea splashed out for Torres in January which forced Ancelotti’s hand.Ferguson said: “A lot of people thought Drogba would play. I thought having signed Torres for the money they did they had to play him. I wasn’t 100% sure but I couldn’t see how they could leave Torres out.”Ferguson, however, insisted he was not criticising Chelsea for signing Torres.“They had the opportunity to sign Torres and I don’t think anyone would have turned it down,” Ferguson said. “Everyone said at the time it was fantastic business.“You can’t criticise him (Ancelotti) for that, it was a good signing. It isn’t working at the moment but he is a young man and there are other seasons ahead.” Ancelotti will now be under pressure to make sure Chelsea qualify for the Champions League next season.He said: “We have to look forward. We have games to play and to win if possible because obviously we want to play the Champions League the next season.”On his own future Ancelotti said: “I’m not concerned. I have to work and try to do my best. It is not my decision to stay or not to stay here.”Source: Skysports.comlast_img read more